Week 12 – Garage and Car
It’s week 12 and the last week of our Challenge. If you made it this far, congratulations! This week is the hardest but most rewarding challenge yet. We are cleaning out the clutter from our messy garages and giving our cars a massive clean! Don’t skip this week. It is so important to finish. You will be glad you did.
Step 1: SORT
- Go through everything in the garage. Empty it out completely (weather permitting), going through one item at a time, and placing it in a pile with similar items.
- If something doesn’t belong in your car or garage, put it back where it should be straight away!
- If you haven’t used something in a while or it is damaged.. GET RID OF IT! Donate things you no longer use.
Things that can be donated are:
Car seats, old paints and tools, camping equipment, building supplies and car cleaning products.
- Recycle where you can and don’t keep things you don’t need.
Step 2: CLEAN
- Once you’ve sorted trough everything, the garage should be empty.
- At this point you can sweep, leaf blow, or hose down the floor. This is an important step. You don’t want to organize a dirty garage.
- If you have a problem with spiders or ants, you can spray the perimeter of the garage with insecticide.
- Clean your car now too. If you want it professionally cleaned, this is also great. Get them to deep clean the seats and to freshen it up.
- If you are someone who accumulates a lot of rubbish in your car, consider a Valet Car Bin or a Backseat Leakproof Trash Holder.
- Car Seat Organisers with pockets are great for keeping nick knacks in if you have kids.
Step 3: ORGANISE
- Once you have sorted through everything and cleaned, it’s time to set up a system of organisation. Label plastic boxes to contain items that will remain in the garage. Place the organised bins and boxes back into the garage.
- Try to keep everything up off the ground. Spiders like to hide behind stuff on the ground and so does dust.
- If you have space for shelving, get some. Shelving is the best use of space for a garage setting and makes use of wasted wall space. Check out our range here for some ideas.
- Use strong storage bags as well like our Extension Cable Bags and our Gas Bottle bags. Linked below.
- Group like items and label well! If you have drawers in your garage, use small containers to organise it’s contents.
- For tools or garden items, allocate a specific spot for these and organise these in boxes or on Grid Wall Panels.
To finish off. Decorate your space or just wipe down your surfaces once more.
Remember to DONATE!!
And there you have it, you’ve completed the 12 Week Challenge! I hope you’ve managed to organise your space and that you’ve enjoyed the process of simplifying and managing your belongings.
Related Blog Posts: